Tuesday 25 July 2023

I Pay My Cleaner 60,000, Workers’ Minimum Wage In Nigeria Is ‘Criminal Wage – Oshiomhole Fumes


The Senator representing Edo North district in the 10th Senate, Adams Oshiomhole, has described Nigeria’s N30,000 monthly minimum wage as a “criminal wage”, saying he pays his cleaner with only primary school education N60,000.

Oshiomhole said this on Sunday night while featuring on Channels TV’s politics programme.

“What we call minimum wage is a criminal wage,” he said.

Speaking further, the former leader of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) said, “If you exchange N30,000 at N800 or N700 to the dollar, what does that translate to? So, the value of that minimum wage when it was N125 – when it was first introduced under, I think, (Shehu) Shagari’s government – is about two times or three times the value many years later, even in the public service.”

According to him, he decided to pay his cleaner N60,000 because he could not bring himself to do less.

“I can tell you what I have decided to pay my cleaner. My cleaner is just a primary school – I’m not sure she has even a school leaving certificate. But she’s knowledgeable enough to clean the house,” he said.

“I found myself unable to pay her less than N60,000 – in fact, N60,000. It’s about my conscience. I’m trying to imagine what she has to pay for a house. She told me she has four children.

“I’m trying to imagine how she has to look after those children and I cannot question why she should have four children.”

The former Edo State governor is in the ruling All Progressives Congress.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer

Comments And Opinions On Any Part Of This Website Are Opinions Of The Writers Or Anonymous Persons And They Do Not Represent The Opinions Of Ella's Media

Pictures and culled stories posted on this site will be given due credit and is not the fault of Ella's Media if they are NOT given original credit from website culled from.

N:B. If you have a complain or story, please contact Ella's Media via nuellaopeters@gmail.com or +2348068124206